While I lean heavily towards the “there’s nothing like a concert” direction – or maybe I’m just still disgusted by the NBA post-lockout – here are some of the more coveted (Big Apple) shows she might want to add to her stub collection (sorry other cities!):
- Phish at Madison Square Garden (12/28, 12/29 and a 12/31 NYE show as well - if you can get tickets)
- Also solid New Years Eve shows: Matt & Kim (Hammerstein Ballroom), New Kids On The Block (if she has a sense of humor like that – and you have nerves of steel – at Roseland), Fitz & The Tantrums (Blender Theater at Gramercy), Gogol Bordello (Terminal 5).
And if she can wait a little longer, some 2012 dates that could make for great gift options are:
- Chris Cornell (1/7 Times Center)
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band (1/7 Carnegie Hall)
- Peter Frampton (2/18 The Beacon)
- Flogging Molly (2/23 Roseland)
- And the mother of all coveted tickets, the 3/22 encore date of The Black Keys’ already-sold out March show (3/12) at Madison Square Garden. But you better wake up early for these, tickets go on sale Friday 12/16 at 9am.
Of course, there are other 2012 tours in the works, like Coldplay and Red Hot Chili Peppers, not to mention several more rumored shows (please please pretty please Beastie Boys), just in case this list doesn’t suit her concert palette.
And, since Santa wanted you to have other ticket options, if you can’t catch the end of the NFL season, you could always take her to an NBA game (insert eye roll – I’m sticking to college hoops this year) or hit up my favorite sport to watch live – hockey. New York Rangers fans don’t have to wait long to gift her, they play the Islanders on 12/26 – always a fun rivalry.
If you don’t live in the greater NYC area, you can always check what’s playing in your neck of the woods on sites like Citysearch, or just stalk the tour dates list on her favorite band’s website (or sign up for alerts, too).
So, whether you want her to rock – or be a jock – this holiday season, you can’t go wrong with the gift of paper…tickets. Ho Ho Hope she likes them! (OK, cheesy puns over, won’t happen again). And, make sure you keep it right here for much more of Miss Wingman’s 12 Days of Fail Safe Girl Gifts.